kinecta mobile app icon
Kinecta Mobile Banking Kinecta Federal Credit Union GET - On the Google Play Store
Skip to main content


What to Do if You're a Victim of ID Theft?

If you believe you are a victim of identity theft taking action quickly can stop an identity thief from doing more damage.

  1. Contact Kinecta Federal Credit Union at 800.854.9846, your other financial institutions and credit card companies to close all affected accounts. Even if no fraudulent transactions have yet occurred, placing passwords on these accounts can add an extra layer of security for protection.
  2. Report lost or stolen checks to your financial institution to place stop payments. Check verification companies can also be contacted to report the fraud activity:
  3. Notify one of the three major credit bureaus and place a Fraud Alert on your credit report. Once one credit agency confirms your fraud alert, the other two will automatically be notified. The initial fraud alert stays on your account for 90 days. You can renew it after 90 days.
  4. Order your Credit Reports. Now that you have placed an initial fraud alert, you're entitled to a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies. Order the report and ask the agency to show only the last four digits of your Social Security Number on your report.
  5. Create an ID Theft Report by filing a report with the Federal Trade Commission and completing an ID Theft Affidavit. Submit a report about the theft to the FTC at When you finish writing all the details, print a copy of the report. It will be called an Identity Theft Affidavit. If by phone, call the FTC at 1.877.438.4338, tell the representative what happened. The FTC representative will email you a link to obtain your Affidavit. Keep copies of the Affidavit for your records.
  6. File a report with your local law enforcement agency. Bring a copy of your Identity Theft Affidavit as well as any other proof of the crime. Obtain a case/incident number and ask for a copy of the report. Having a police report can help you clear up your credit records.
  7. Report stolen mail to the US Postal Service. You can file online at or by calling toll-free at 1.800.275.8777.